Eggs have long been a staple in both culinary and nutritional realms, offering a plethora of benefits that make them an excellent addition to any diet. Their versatility in dishes and impressive nutrient profile contribute to their value for those seeking a balanced and healthy eating regimen.

Let's look at reasons why eggsshould be regarded as an essential component of your diet.

Nutritional powerhouse

Eggs, despite their small size, are packed with essential nutrients crucial for overall health. A single large boiled egg boasts a range of vitamins and minerals, including: Vitamins A, B5, B12, D, E, K, and B6, Folate, Phosphorus, Selenium, Calcium, Zinc, 6 gm protein, 5 gm healthy fats.

Cholesterol considerations

It is true that eggs, particularly the yolks, are high in cholesterol. A single large egg contains around 186 mg of dietary cholesterol, says dietary expert Sonakshi Tripathi. However, research suggests that for approximately 70 percent of individuals, eggs do not significantly elevate cholesterol levels. The remaining 30 percent, referred to as "hyper responders," might experience a slight increase in total and LDL cholesterol. It's essential to note that dietary guidelines recommend moderation in egg consumption.

Enhances "good" cholesterol

Contrary to concerns about cholesterol, eggs can actually boost levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or "good" cholesterol. Higher levels of HDL are linked to a reduced risk of heart disease and stroke. Studies have demonstrated that consuming two eggs daily for six weeks can lead to a 10 percent increase in HDL levels, says Tripathi.

Rich source of choline

Choline, a vital nutrient classified with the B vitamins, plays a critical role in constructing cell membranes and producing signaling molecules in the brain. According to Tripathi, a single hard-boiled egg provides approximately 147 mg of choline, which accounts for 27 percent of the daily value recommended by the FDA.

Eye health

Egg yolks are rich in lutein, zeaxanthin, and vitamin A, all of which are essential for maintaining optimal eyesight. These antioxidants play a role in reducing the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration as we age.

Omega-3 enrichment

Omega-3 fatty acids are renowned for their ability to lower triglyceride levels in the blood. Some eggs are enriched with Omega-3, making them a beneficial option for individuals who may not consume sufficient amounts of this nutrient from sources like fish, nuts, or seeds.

Protein and amino acids

With approximately 6 gm of protein per egg, they serve as a valuable source of this essential nutrient. The amino acids found in eggs are beneficial for various aspects of health, including weight management, muscle mass, blood pressure regulation, and bone health, says Tripathi.

Heart health

Contrary to previous beliefs, most studies have not found a direct link between egg consumption and heart disease or stroke. However, individuals with diabetes should moderate their egg intake, as some research suggests a potential increased risk of heart disease in this population. On the flip side, studies indicate that people who follow a low-carbohydrate diet have a reduced risk of heart disease if they incorporate eggs in their daily diet.

Satiety and weight management

Eggs are a satisfying meal option, especially for breakfast, thanks to their high protein content. This protein helps to curb hunger and prolong feelings of fullness, which can aid in weight management efforts, Tripathi explains.

2024-04-08T09:46:59Z dg43tfdfdgfd