The Best Keto Apps to Help You Track Carbs
Need help getting started on keto? Try one of these apps. At this point in your life as human being on planet Earth, you've probably heard a lot of people raving about the high-fat, low-carb ketogenic diet. The ketogenic diet itself is complex, but the goal is relatively straightforward: to push your body into a state called ketosis, where it's burning fat, instead of carbohydrates, for fuel. By doing this, proponents of the diet argue that you'll lose weight, lean down, and maybe even reveal at least a two-pack. Yet there's a certain sense of at what cost? that pervades through the diet. That's because the ketogenic diet is restrictive—even by most diet standards. You can credit the strictness of the keto diet to fat (the nutrient, not the kind found in a beer belly). Ketogenic diet plans urge followers to consume 60 to 80 percent of their daily calories from fat. Yes, this is a lot of fat. And that leaves about 20 percent of your daily calories coming from protein and just 10 percent from carbohydrates. Yes, this is hardly any carbohydrates. That delicate balancing act of the three macronutrients—fat, protein, and carbs—can make the keto diet tough to maintain. (This is a major criticism cited by critics of the diet and it's a good one.) Plus, it involves a fair amount of math, meal planning, and follow-through. Two help with the first two, we've rounded up the best keto-centric apps to help you track your food intake, create shopping lists, and plan meals that could help keep you motivated. The follow-through, however, is all on you.