Dal is every Indian’s comfort food. Without dal, every traditional Indian lunch or dinner is incomplete. Dals are one of the most cherished elements in Indian cuisine and have a special place in Indian kitchens. Every Indian kitchen serves dals in a variety of forms with aromatic tempering with oil or ghee.
Black (kali urad ki dal) urad dal is made with whole black gram dal cooked with onions, tomatoes, masala, and some Indian spices. People love having black urad dal with rice or roti, a spicy side dish with raita and salad for a completely hearty, and nutritious meal.
Black urad dal is a simple yet flavorful recipe that will liven up your everyday meal. Check out this easy-to-make tasty and healthy urad dal recipe at home and enjoy it with your loved ones:
1 cup urad dal
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium tomatoes
1 medium onion
2-4 cloves garlic (minced)
1-inch ginger (minced)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1-2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 tbsp coriander (chopped)
Salt as per taste
1. First rinse the black urad dal in water 2 to 3 times. Soak it in enough water in a bowl for about 30 to 40 minutes. Or you can also soak it overnight for 4 to 5 hours. And keep it aside.
2. Now add 2 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker and heat it at a low flame. Add the cumin seeds. When they sizzle and crackle, add chopped onions.
3. Fry till the onions turn light brown on a low flame. Now add the chopped tomatoes, ginger, and garlic to it and mix well.
4. Also add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and garam masala powder. Stir and mix well.
5. Sauté the masala stirring often on low to medium-low flame till the oil starts to leave or separate at the sides. Make sure that your masala doesn't burn while mixing it.
6. Now finally add the drained black urad dal with 3 cups of water and salt as per your taste. And again mix it well.
7. Cook the dal in a pressure cooker for five whistles (or more if not cooked properly) over medium to medium-high heat, or until the lentils are soft, tender, and completely cooked.
8. Cook and simmer till you get a creamy consistency. This helps to thicken the consistency of the dal.
9. Once it is ready garnish this delicious dal with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice or roti.
For more such stories, stay tuned to HerZindagi.2023-05-30T05:44:53Z dg43tfdfdgfd